- Another Yankees vs. Red Sox series got underway last night…yawn. At least there was a little bit of tension after Francisco Cervelli’s (weak) celebration of his own homerun. But other than that, what is the point of so many meaningless games for these two teams down the stretch Bud Selig?
– How cool would it be to play for Joe Maddon? The guy used to go to elementary school with Julius Caesar, supports awesome Rays fashion wear , and is a leading man in the case of using crunched numbers (to give his team the best chance of winning). Is he baseball’s Phil Jackson?
– Why does MLB not care about exciting pennant races? Here’s a great article by Rob Neyer over at SB Nation.
– I can’t seem to understand why so many people hate the Mets blue and black unis. Not the “Los Mets” ones, these. They seem to be fitting for a team who is getting beat day after day.
– Matt LaPorta is being sent back down to the minors. Is anyone surprised anymore?
– How about Alex Gordon? After being the 2nd overall pick of his draft class, and not living up to people’s ridiculous hype, he has finally hit his stride as a ball player. It is my personal opinion that maybe if the Royals had pulled their heads out and given him enough regular AB’s with the big club this probably would have happened sooner. Just look at his Triple-A numbers.
– I have become discouraged with youth baseball over the last couple seasons. I am sick and tired of watching 11-year-old kids quit all other fall sports to play baseball year round. I find it extremely frustrating and detrimental. It not only limits a child’s athletic development, but it deprives them of experiencing different aspects of sport and what it offers. This idea is probably best reserved for an entire article of its own and most likely will find its way to the Sombrero very soon. Just wanted to vent my frustrations.