- What a night for southpaws last night. As predicted here yesterday, Wandy Rodriguez was masterful. He struck out a career high 13 through seven-innings. I’m glad the Astros kept him around, as he could be a solid No. 2 for years to come.
– Did Cole Hamels forget that this was his first start back off the DL? His breaker was Razor Ramon sharp last night. It must be the most stress-free environment he has ever pitched in before, what with him being a No. 3 behind Doc and Cliff.
– Another lefty, Clayton Kershaw looked brilliant (again) last night. It’s hard to believe that this guy is only 23. To put it in perspective, he is 6 months younger than my little sister (Big ups to my sister Blaire btw, who just recently became engaged and has the most beautiful 1 year old baby in the world) and is basically a veteran ace in his 4th big league season. NL Cy Young anybody?
– Sticking with lefties, albeit from the NFL, how about Mike Vick?! Only NFL player in history to sign two $100,000,000 contracts. I know this is a baseball blog, but I just had to show some proppers to the fellow southpaw.
– Mark Teixeira made it 8 straight seasons of 30 HR and 100 RBI last night. Is he the greatest switch hitter of all-time? Not yet, but definitely the best of my generation. If he can keep this up I see no reason why he won’t be the greatest.
– While watching highlights of Carlos Santana hitting another bomb last, I had to listen to the sports anchors discuss whether or not Santana should stay behind the dish or not. First, I hate listening to almost every sports anchor talk about things of this nature. Not all, just most. Secondly, it made me think about what baseball is turning into. I understand the logic behind moving a strong hitter to a position that promotes longevity. Heck, I’m not even sure if I’m against such a move. It is something to think about though.
– It’s always nice to have guys from other clubs make pitches to get you on their team; especially when that team is the Texas Rangers and you are from Texas. But, c’mon C.J. Wilson, how do you think those comments made David Murphy feel?
– Rough one for Timmy Jim. Those Cubbies made him look like a jail cell bottom last night. It’s OK though, Lincecum…it happens to everybody.