Having not written anything recently, I feel completely lost as I try to put together something for Sombrero Nation. I checked the files on both my work computer and home computer, and found out that I have eight different blog posts started, just waiting for me to finish them. For whatever reason, I just have not finished anything I started to write. It is time to fix that. Forget the lead in. Forget fluency. Forget about even reading a “true” article. All this is going to be is a collection of my thoughts on baseball. I call them…Randoms.
– Tim Kurkjian recently said he believes that the Astros will lose 300 games over the next 3 years. Oddly, I am not surprised by, or in tears because of, this estimate.
– Bubba Starling choosing the Royals over the Huskers makes me smile. For one, I hate watching phenomenal athletes waste their time playing other sports when they could be playing baseball. Secondly, Nebraska is where college quarterbacks go to die, and that would be a terrible endgame for such a gifted athlete.
– I tried to explain that opinion to my mom at dinner last night. All she could do is smile and nod her head. At least she checks the blog on a daily basis. Love you, mom! Thanks for your support.
– I wish Brettsta would write more for the Sombrero. He has nasty wordplay skills. (Editor’s note: I agree and welcome any and all submissions.)
– Being an Astros fan is finally exciting again. As much as I will miss competing, I find the direction the club is heading to be fulfilling enough right now.
– Why is Carlos Zambrano so far removed from his own sanity? Was he dropped on his head as a newborn?
– I had a legitimate discussion with one of the 6th graders in my classroom about how Justin Verlander should win the AL Cy Young. I was very impressed, to say the least.
– Why do I keep falling for Ricky Nolasco’s Jekyll and Hyde routine? That 33 era he posted the other night might have finally done it for me.
– I really wish I had learned how to throw a cutter when I was in college. It is just such a nasty pitch from the left side.
– The Fantasy Focus baseball podcast on ESPN is excellent. I listen to it everyday at lunch and thoroughly enjoy listening to the hilarity interspersed with fantasy analysis. If you have not listened to it, I suggest you check it out.
– I would really like to find out how many other people are tired of the Brian Wilson “I’m Trying Really Hard So Somebody Please Look at Me” show. He should really just sit down with Timmy Jim, burn one down, and relax.
– This was a fun piece to write. Let me know if I should do something like this once a week.