RHP Lucas Giolito, Harvard-Westlake (CA)
- John Kilma of Baseball Prospect Report had another look at Lucas Giolito this past week and captured more video of the right-hander. He didn’t touch 100 MPH as he allegedly did last week, but Kilma had him at 96-98 MPH from the stack in the first and 94-96 MPH in the third. Kilma also states that Giolito is one of the two best 17-year-old pitchers that he’s personally scouted, the other being Felix Hernandez.
- Over at FanGraphs, J.P. Breen examines 10 high school bats that figure to be an early selection in the 2012 draft in June. The quality of prep outfield prospects this year is particularly impressive: Byron Buxton (GA), David Dahl (AL), Courtney Hawkins (TX), and Albert Almora (FL).
- Jeff Reese and Al Skorupa of Bullpen Banter compare college right-handers Kevin Gausman and Mark Appel, both of whom hope to keep their name in the 1-1 conversation.
- The great John Sickels of Minor League Ball completed a mock draft with Matt Garrioch and without spoiling all of the results, here is a quick glance at their top five overall: 1. Kevin Gausman (Astros); 2. Lucas Giolito (Twins); 3. Mike Zunino (Mariners); 4. Byron Buxton (Orioles); 5. Mark Appel (Royals)
- Conor Glassey of Baseball America posted scouting notes and video of Stony Brook outfielder Travis Jankowski, who is currently No. 24 on their Top 100 draft board. The video includes Jankowski’s pre-game batting practice as well as clips from a 3-for-5 performance against Eastern Carolina. I love how quiet this kid is at the plate not to mention his ability to use the whole field. I think I’m going to have to go check him out once it warms up a bit.
Want to discuss prospects with Mike or simply pass along a link? Then be sure to follow him on Twitter (@GoldenSombrero).